Skip to main content Skip to secondary navigation

Remember... it is okay to not be okay.

Mental Health Resources at Stanford

Funding and Finances

Main content start

There are a variety of resources available to off-set expenses and assist you as an undocumented or DACAmented students in recieving additional aid. 

2023-24 Neighborhood Decorative Accent Line

Emergency Funding and Support

Undergraduate Students 

  • The Opportunity Fund, run by the First-Generation and/or Low-Income Student Success Center, offers emergency financial assistance for events such as emergency travel, documentation/citizenship fees, and medical/dental expenses to undergraduate and select graduate students who are eligible. 
  • Learn how aid works for more support. 

Gradudate Students 

  • Emergency Grant-in-Aid Funds are provided to assist students with financial emergencies and unanticipated expenses, such as personal emergencies. Graduate students are encouraged to apply to this Grant-in-Aid funds before applying for the Opportunity Fund. 
  • Graduate Student Aid Fund was established to help students with financial hardships paying University Health Service fees, such as the Campus Health Service Fee and Cardinal Care overcome those hurdles.
  • Learn about financial considerations for additional support.
2023-24 Neighborhood Decorative Accent Line

Major/Career Related Grants and Funding

All the grants listed below have more details about eligibility and the application process on their websites. 

  • Cardinal Quarter offers full-time, funded, public service experiences designed to integrate your academic learning with field-based experience. Dedicate a summer or a quarter to addressing an issue you care about with a partner organization. Over 500 opportunities are offered each year through more than 30 campus partners. Use this search index to find something that fits your criteria. 
  • Undergraduate Advising and Research (UAR) Grants provide funding to undergraduate students across all disciplines and majors (fine arts, engineering, biological sciences, humanities, etc) to support independent research. To achieve student grant funding, an applicant must complete an extensive grant proposal, with various requirements for different projects and research pathways (i.e.; conference grants and senior synthesis projects). The information on the grant proposal and application process can help you figure out next steps.
    • Major Grant provides summer funding for declared undergraduates (preference given to juniors) who are interested in leading full-time, student-driven immersive projects. The website will contain more information, such as frequently asked questions and the grant proposal process
    • Small Grants provide funding for current undergraduate students to pursue smaller, typically student-driven projects. 
    • Chappell Lougee provides funding for full-time immersive projects in the humanities, creative arts, and social sciences during the summer after your sophomore year. This grant is for sophomores only.  
  • Center for Comparative Studies in Race and Ethnicity (CCSRE) Community-Based Research provides funding for students who establish a partnership of faculty and community members, and collaboratively engage in research with the purpose of solving a pressing community problem or effecting social change, full-time during the summer. While priority is given to Comparative Studies in Race and Ethnicity (CSRE) majors, the application is open to all. 
  • Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU) Program provides summer funding for any undergraduate interested in engineering research to do full-time work over the summer and is managed through the School of Engineering. Admission requirements are dependent on specific departments.
  • Additionally, if you have declared a major, consult with your department for department-specific opportunities. If you need assistance as to who to contact or how to discuss your background, email For Dreamers
2023-24 Neighborhood Decorative Accent Line

Banking and Credit Cards

There are some resources for undocumented and DACAmented students to open a bank account.

  • Stanford Federal Credit Union will work with you to allow you to open a free student checking account with free worldwide ATM access. There is a branch location on campus (in Tresidder Memorial Union) and multiple ATMs throughout campus
    • NEW! SFCU will give you the opportunity to establish U.S. credit history without a social security number.
    • SFCU also offers trainings, workshops and more information to help you understand finances and funding.
  • These private student loan options provide students financing without a cosigner or any credit history
  • Mind Over Money is an opportunity on campus to learn skills about financial literacy for Stanford and beyond. They have resources for the DACAmented and undocumented community at Stanford.